Hinson’s Mill


 

On August 25, 1862, beginning his march to Manassas, Stonewall Jackson left the vicinity of Jeffersonton, with about 20,000 troops and two brigades of Stuart’s cavalry, marched onto the road between Waterloo Bridge and Amissville, and once past the latter place turned onto the wagon road (RR 643) leading north to the Rappahannock and crossed the river at Hinson’s Mill. The remnants of the mill race can still be visualized. There are two great stones facing each other, one at the edge of each bank. There are drill holes in the surface of the stone, possibly anchors for a wooden bridge structure. On the left bank there is a cleared track that passe up the slope and through the woods (and a clearing) to a paved road (RR 743) that takes you to Orlean and on to Salem at Thoroughfare Gap.

 

Overflight of Hinson’s Mill


The House Shown at Bottom is at end of Road
Track leads past it down to surviving mill race


Higher View




White marks are hugh boulders that
Were used as bridge pier. Cut in forest on right
Is location of gravel road. There is a dirt road
At the curve that goes down to the left bank

 

 

Joe Ryan

 

Joe Ryan

Joe Ryan Original Works

@ AmericanCivilWar.com



 
About the author:
Joe Ryan is a Los Angeles trial lawyer who has traveled the route of the Army of Northern Virginia, from Richmond to Gettysburg several times.
 

Battle of Gettysburg
General Robert E. Lee
General JEB Stuart
General Jubal Early
Confederate Commanders
General Joseph Hooker
Union Generals
American Civil War Exhibits
State Battle Maps
Civil War Timeline
Women in the Civil War



40