C.S. Army Gunboat Bayou City (1861-1865)
Bayou City , a 165-foot side-wheel steamer, was built for commercial use at Jeffersonville, Indiana, in 1859. She was chartered in September 1861 for service in the Texas Marine Department. Initially operated by the State of Texas as a cottonclad gunboat in the Galveston area, she was taken over by the Confederate Army in October 1862.
On 1 January 1863, Bayou City and the tug Neptune were used by Confederate troops in a daring operation to drive Union warships out of Galveston bay. This attack was a complete success, with USS Harriet Lane boarded and captured and USS Westfield blown up.
Following the action, Bayou City served the Confederacy in Texas waters until the conclusion of the Civil War.
Engraving, published in "History of the Confederate States Navy", depicting Confederate troops boarding Harriet Lane from C.S. gunboats Neptune and Bayou City . USS Harriet Lane
is shown in the left distance, under attack by the Confederate gunboats Neptune
and Bayou City
The grounded USS Westfield
is at right, being blown up to prevent capture. USS Owasco
is in the center of the view.